Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Pick yourself up and dust off your lapel...

Sharing yet another email...



How to Recover from a Setback
Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 28
By Shawn McKee, eDiets Staff Writer

It's not whether you get knocked down; it's whether you get back up. -- Vince Lombardi

I get knocked down -- a lot. I think most people do. As a matter of fact, if you're not getting knocked down, you're probably not really trying. Life knocks you down and things very seldom work out the way they are planned. I am reminded of this nearly every day.

I've been injured for well over a week -- and it's driving me insane. I thought I could work through the pain, but after some research, consultation and some more pain, I realized I should take some time off. I strained my biceps. It's not the worst injury in the world, but it's ruining my routine.

I am a creature of habit. I follow a fairly rigid routine and it keeps me healthy, normal and sane. But when I fall out, I tend to fall way out. I let my daily diet go from 5 or 6 healthy meals to 3 fast-food runs, I abandon the gym and my training completely to reunite with my couch and the most mindless reality TV I can find (American Gladiators, anyone?).

For the first day or so, it's not that big of a deal. It's actually kind of a nice little vacation. But as the days wear on, I feel lethargic, listless. I can't get motivated for anything and I realize that starting back up will be a grueling task. I throw myself a pity party. I will start tomorrow, or, um, maybe Monday. That's a good day to start. Monday it is… Monday comes and goes -- I still haven't started.

I've lost my momentum. Inertia has set in and I am now experiencing "a feeling of unwillingness to do anything." It's physics: A body at rest remains at rest unless force is applied to it. I need to use The Force. So, I consult the Jedi Master of motivation, eDiets Fitness Pro Raphael Calzadilla for some sage advice.

"The key to recovering from a setback is focusing on one successful day. Don't worry about anything beyond one day of dietary and exercise consistency," Raphael recommends. "The next day, focus on how good you feel having completed that successful day -- then do it again. You'll find that you string together a bunch of successful days just by using this method."

So, I'll pick myself up off the floor, dust the dirt from my lapel and take returning to my routine one day at a time. It seems so simple, but sometimes it's hard to see the door when you're face down on the floor. The other realization I have about getting out of a slump is that you can't always do it alone -- sometimes you have to ask for help. So, now it's back to basics… I'll see you at the gym.


Help is just a click away! Every single eDiets member gets complete access to one-on-one personal support and help from our fitness expert, Raphael, and whole team of dietitians! Plus, we're offering a HUGE special offer right now. Learn more.

No comments: