Friday, September 4, 2009

Holiday Game Plan

My first challenge offered to me is to come up with a game plan for this Labor Day Holiday Weekend... As a family, we rarely celebrate the holiday's outside Thanksgiving, Christmas, & Easter. We recognize the significance of each day, but not with big parties, cookies, (oops, I meant cook outs...lol) etc. With that being said, I won't have to change much at all about how I will treat this holiday. However, I will be faced with our end of summer store picnic on September 13th. With that come hotdogs, hamburgers, chips, sweet desserts... lots of them!

So this will be my game plan for that day...

Take a Veggie Tray to pass... Fill my plate with fresh veggies! Limit myself to one hamburger, skip the chips. And limit my dessert to once small serving.

We will also be participating in the annual associates vs managers softball game... so, I will be active with that since I am one of the managers... :) That will help me to burn off the calories and get a workout in at the same time.

Part two of the Holiday Challenge is to share a recipe to incorporate into my Holiday Plans...

Here is a nice dessert I found online and modified to make it a bit more low cal. It's so yummy!

Banana Cream Pie

Submitted by: LADYBU6205_1969

I adapted a recipe I found online to make it lower calorie...

10 Minutes to Prepare and Cook

Ingredients

    1 9-inch Nabisco Graham Cracker Pie Crust
    1/3 Cup Splenda
    1/2 Cup sifted all purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3 Cups 2% milk
    3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
    1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
    1 Tablespoon butter, unsalted



Directions

Mix Splenda, Flour, and Salt in saucepan; add milk gradually, stirring until smooth. Cook until mixture boils, stirring constantly. Mix a small portion of hot mixture into egg yolks, return to saucepan and boil an additional 2 minutes, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat, add vanilla and butter. Cool. Place bananas in bottom of graham cracker crust, add filling.



Number of Servings: 8

Nutritional Info
  • Servings Per Recipe: 8
  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories: 235.7
  • Total Fat: 10.8 g
  • Cholesterol: 38.2 mg
  • Sodium: 274.2 mg
  • Total Carbs: 29.4 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 0.6 g
  • Protein: 5.4 g

NOTE: because it calculates to about 235 calories per serving, I usually count it as 16 servings and eat a smaller piece...

Enjoy your holiday weekend everyone!

No comments: