Friday, May 1, 2009

I Kicked It Up A Level... or 2

Woo Hoo! I had an AWESOME workout tonight again... I got brave and RAN on the treadmill (approx. 5.5 - 6.0 mph) ...though, I still would not let go of the handles. My running was very short sprints... max of maybe 1 minute 30 seconds... It's been YEARS.. like 24 (Sophomore year in high school when on the track team) to be exact since I have even attempted to run. So, though it was not a lot of running, I did attempt it several different times tonight. I would liked to have pushed it a bit further, but my heart rate would jump up from 134 or so to 165+ and I was not sure how long I could run in the "High" without causing me to have problems... I guess I just need to continue running and increasing my endurance and over time, I should be able to run for longer periods of time...

I did however let go of the handles and attempt my fast pace walk at the 4.5 mph zone...so another accomplishment for me tonight on the treadmill. I did discover, that in order for me to feel safer without hanging on, I needed the incline set about 4.0 or so as I felt more stable there than when it was set at "0"...

Today's food intake was not all that good... Arby's was super busy again, so I ended up at BK... I so need to remember to order the Whopper Jr. instead of the regular Double Whopper. Why are some habits so hard to break! That's why I like eating at Arby's... the calories might be high, but the food is much less greasy, full of fat, etc. At least the turkey is lean and it has veggies too...

Drew and Holly met me at work again tonight. Holly was going to the movies with her friends, so hubby wanted to go to dinner... just the two of us. Dinner was not too bad as I skipped the carb with the meal. Just had one slice of bread and hubby wanted friend pickles, so of course I had those... but the meal it self was not bad.

Oh, I was thinking tonight on my way home from the gym... I think I am going to add to my May Goals... Not sure of a "specific" to aim for, but I have decided that since I kicked it up a notch tonight on the treadmill, that I should aim to increase my Average MPH to be above my average of 4.5 mph. Increase my running to at least 3-4 minute sprints. Hard to put an actual time on it as I do not know how long it will take to build my endurance. But, I think I want to make that a goal too...

One of the girls from work and I had talked a few weeks ago that she would like to start going to the gym, so I might ask her if she wants to go with me. I know she said she's not really a fan of the treadmill, but will walk a slow pace on them... I wouldn't mind that and I do enjoy other areas of the gym too... like the weights so we can also do that together. There is also another girls who is a runner that I work with who does up to the gym. Maybe we can coordinate our workouts somehow too as running with her might encourage me to push myself even more. She is up to 13 miles of running and is training to run a half marathon this month...so she would be a good one to try pacing myself with eventually...

Today's Body Blessings...
B: Cheese Crackers with Peanut Butter, Cottage Cheese, Peaches
L: Double Whopper with Cheese (I didn't eat all of it, but most), 1/2 of a small Fry
D: 8-oz Prime Rib, Salad with Ranch Dressing, Grilled Veggies, Fried Pickles, 1 slice Wheat Bread.
Today's Workout...
65 minutes Treadmill, Various Speeds/Inclines
4.5 Miles
4.1 Average Speed
487.7 Calories Burned
Heading off now to do some core training...
100 Crunches on Stability Ball
50 Bicycle Crunches
20 Modified Push ups

3 comments:

One Pretty Little Box said...

Yay!! I pushed myself harder too and it felt so good! Today though, my workout is yard work. I need to mow, and the grass is so thick it gets tough in spots. :) I want to do some digging and planting too.

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

Congrats on the progress! That's wonderful. Working in increments is the way to go. You are doing great!
Path to Health

Laura said...

You are doing great!

I definately think you should ask your co-worker to go to the gym with you! I've been going with a co-worker/friend for the past 6 weeks and it's very motivating.. plus it's fun to have someone to chit chat with.

Good Luck with your May goals! You can do it!