Friday, April 3, 2009

Article I read...

I read this article in "For Women! FitnessRx" magazine that states Japanese scientists have found that two 30-minute, moderate-intensity aerobic programs with a 20 minute break between sessions increase fat metablolism, stress hormone levels, and blood ketone levels while lowering insulin and blood sugar more than one continuous 60-minute workout. In other words, you burn more fat by doing two 30-minute workouts with just a 20 minute break between than you would doing one 60-minute workout. Another article suggested the same thing but also mentioned that during the 20 minutes between workouts, you should do several ab exercises and basic stretches...

4 comments:

Annalisa@Gracie'sGarden said...

I believe it! It's because of the "after burn" I think. Leslie talks about it on the WATP video's, but I can feel it in my body. It's only been an hour since my workout, and I can still feel my body using more energy than usual, even sitting at a computer.

Why are morning workouts so hard to get back into? It seems like after a couple weeks, it's no big deal, but at first, I have to kick my own butt if I want to get it done.

One Pretty Little Box said...

That is pretty intreting, maybe I should try that next time at the gym and split my cardio in half putting my strength training in the middle.

Unknown said...

Doing the Strength training in the middle might be a good idea too... as, doing an hour of cardio tends to make me less able to do the amount of reps I would do normally if I had not been doing cardio first... maybe I should do that too when I get back to the gym...

Lisa

Anonymous said...

That's news to me and I love it, now I have an excuse for passing out after working out for 30 minutes ;)