Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Meal Prep Day

I have found that the best way for me to stay on track with my healthy eating, and keeping portions under control is for me to do a weekly meal prep on one of my days off of work. I don't do my meal prep like most anyone else I know. I need total convenience. I need to open my freezer and be able to pull out a complete meal as I walk out the door for work in the morning. I need meals ready for my boyfriend, so that he too can grab a meal from the freezer and walk out the door in the afternoon. We work opposite shifts, so our meals together are very limited and he doesn't eat properly if it's left to him.

This is how my freezer looks on a constant basis...


Inside you will find baked chicken breast with a veggie and usually a seasoned rice, pepper steak, Bret Johnson's Chili, (Bret is the husband of Chalene Johnson, the creator of TurboFire, PiYo, and several other workout programs), un-stuffed peppers, un-stuffed cabbage rolls, Crockpot salsa chicken,  Mexican lasagna, meatloaf and meatballs that are chock full of veggies, fajita bowls, and today's addition was a chicken veggie soup, and a made up recipe I created using leftover quinoa, peppers, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and some of the meatballs which were prepped already.

                                       

Each meal is portioned out to be 21 Day Fix approved, so that we can easily track our allotted containers for the day.  On the 21 Day Fix, I am in the lowest bracket and am  allowed 3 Green containers, 2 Purple containers, 4 Red containers, 2 Yellow containers, 1 Blue container, 1 Orange container, 2 tsp.

By having my meals planned out and ready to just grab and run out the door with it, I know I am setting myself as well as my boyfriend up for a successful journey of regaining our health and fitness. By having these healthy "TV Dinners" ready, there is no excuse as to why we can't eat healthy. There is no reason that we will need to head to the local greasy spoon or fast food restaurant to eat.  There is no good reason that we shall fail.

Feel free to comment if you have any questions on how I prepare my meals. In all honesty, It does not take as long as people seem to think it should. I might spend 3 hours a week preparing meals. Most of them can be done in the Crockpot or slow cooked in the oven so very little time is actually spent "cooking".







No comments: