Monday, November 2, 2009

If I Could Live My Life Over, What is the One Thing I Would Do Over?

If I could change one thing about my past, it would have to be to have learned more patience so that I could handle the issues that we face all the time with my daughter's ADHD. As I mentioned in a previous post (What is the accomplishment I am most proud of) I feel that I am ADD myself. I think that Holly and I have trouble understanding each other most of the time and we tend to argue over silly things. Things like one joking with the other but the other not taking it as a joke.

Over the past several years, it seems like Holly and I rarely get to spend much Mom/Daughter time together. I'm either busy with work or work around the house... money is short, or she's off with her friends.

So, if I could change that one thing it would be to understand Holly more so that we can have more Mom/Daughter times together...

3 comments:

Christine said...

That's sweet. Maybe you could have a mother daughter day once a month, where you all go out to a cheap movie, or go for adrive or a walk together?

Annie, The Amazing Shrinking Girl said...

Oh that's a good one! Something I wish I could change too!

Annalisa@Gracie'sGarden said...

My mom & I spoke on the phone for over an hour yesterday and one issue that came up was exactly this. My sister Meagan is ADHD, actually bipolar, but when she was 6 they diagnosed her as ADHD... but anyway, Meagan was IMPOSSIBLE to get along with. Seriously. She could be so funny and nice and flip on you in a second. But in the last year or two, she has matured SO MUCH! My mom and her hang out a lot more, and are finally getting that mother/daughter time. She's 25. It may take some time to create that bond, but keep trying. You'll be happy you did. My mom and I are ecstatic that Meagan is doing so well, it's like the bi-polar symptoms have almost completely gone! It's incredible. Hang in there. There's always hope.