Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I Did It!

Well, I got out of bed this morning, ate a granola bar for my breakfast...and then went RUNNING with Desiree and Alina. I definitely think I need to change my focus some on my workouts... I have always loved doing the strength training as I LOVE LOVE LOVE having the muscle tone...that in my mind is what makes me look good...makes me feel sexy. BUT, my endurance is definitely lacking... I think I really should work more on getting my endurance built up.

Alina was awesome as we ran... for the most part, she and Desiree kept at a constant pace and would slow down and run in place to let me catch up. By the time I caught up, I would be totally winded again, my body would just feel tensed up and whatnot. Alina dropped back at the last 1/2 mile or so and coached me... offered suggestions on what I needed to do to help build that endurance. I need to just push myself through the "I'm going to die" part and go just a bit further...and each time I run, I need to push a bit further!

All in all, I felt really great about being out there and running. I've not run since high school...and lets say that was a LONG time ago. Let's see... 22 years ago that I graduated...and not ran for two years before that... so 24 years it's been since I have run at all.

Another good thing... my hubby has now given me approval to join the Y with Alina... Yeah! I had so much fun in the Muscle Pump class last night... and the Zomba class looked like so much fun! I'm far from being a dancer...always felt like I was clumsy and not coordinated enough to not look like a food. More a self confidence thing than anything I'm sure...but that's still something I am working on and have improved A LOT on so am excited about trying that class too... That should definitely build some endurance...

Today's Body Blessing:

B: Granola Bar
L: 1 small piece Fried chicken...minus the skin, 1/2 cup or so Au Gratin Potatoes, 1/4 cup or so baked Beans, Salad with ranch dressing
D: Arby's Turkey & Swiss Sandwich... I SKIPPED the cheese sticks! Yea Me! LOL..
S: TGIF Bacon Cheddar potato chips... I know...bad bad bad but I didn't have my healthy snacks with me at work...


Today's Workout:

3 Miles walking/jogging/running...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love all the classes that the y has to offer! it doesn't matter that you aren't a dancer, just have fun! congrats on running, i'm sure you are doing amazing!!

Annalisa@Gracie'sGarden said...

3 miles on your first run! That's pretty hard stuff, so don't feel bad about not doing well. You'll be surprised about how quickly you will see improvement. I started consistently running 8/9 weeks ago, I first thought at 2 miles I was gonna die if I ran the whole way so I walked some, then after a couple weeks I thought there's no way I could do 6k (about 3 miles) "easily" and be able to enjoy it, and this week I finished a 10k (6.2miles) and had a blast doing it! Yeah, you'll do great, I know it. If you can do 25 standard pushups, you know you can do ANYTHING! :) Pics look great btw!
Tip for long runs: quick fast steps, don't try for long strides - that is for sprinting short distances. When I passed a little girl doing quick fast little steps, I tried it for a while, and ended up I couldn't stop my feet - just got faster and faster and easier!

.... said...

Terrific accomplishment with the run!!
I'm not a runner so I have nothing but admiration for those of you who do it.

Have a great week!

Best wishes,
Lynn

Martha said...

You go girl, you can do this!! I think you already look fabulous so you'll only look even more fabulous!

Yep, can you guess which word is my favorite and tends to be overused? :P