Thursday, May 7, 2009

Can You Cheat and Still Loose?

By eDiets Staff

Cheating on a diet is one of the most crucial aspects when it comes to success or failure. If you can handle those inevitable lapses, you will be overcoming an important obstacle. It is in this area of mistakes -- otherwise known as cheats -- where dieters' attempts can live or die.

Do you have what it takes to turn a cheat into a tool for weight-loss success?

Answer these questions and find out.

THE QUIZ

1. Can you pick up and go on with your diet after a cheat?
2. Do you stop to consider the circumstances surrounding a cheat?
3. Can you accept yourself as not being perfect on a diet?
4. Do you forgive yourself for a lapse?
5. Can you keep one cheat from leading you to another?
6. Do you believe that personal change is a process?
7. Do you think you will still be able to change the way you eat, even though you cheat sometimes?
8. Do you think mistakes are part of learning something new?
9. Can you avoid feeling like a failure because of a slip?
10. Do you think that changing your behavior might take more than one attempt?
11. Can you hold on to your self-confidence, even after a cheat?
12. Can you forgive yourself for having less willpower at times?
13. Do you know how to include dealing with cheats in your weight-loss plan of action?
14. Can you avoid going on to the next diet just because of a cheat?
15. Can you avoid feeling guilty about a lapse?
16. Can you view a cheat as a small thing and not a catastrophe?
17. Do you know how to learn about yourself from your cheats?
18. Do you pay attention to what you do after you cheat?
19. Can you keep one cheating episode from turning into a total pig-out?
20. Do you still have hope after a cheat?

If you have more YES answers than NO answers, your chances of sticking with it, even though you cheat sometimes, are very good.

If you have more NO answers than YES answers, you may be in danger of letting a cheat lead to a total collapse of your diet. Work on understanding your cheating episodes as much as possible -- when they happen, why they happen, how often they happen. Use this knowledge and you won't have to give up just because you cheat.

5 comments:

Annalisa@Gracie'sGarden said...

GREAT Post!!! Thanks!

I especially like #6 "Do you believe that personal change is a process?"

Anonymous said...

That was perfect for me today :o) I ate a greasy plate of breakfast (for dinner LOL) and munched on some homemade cookies. BOY DID I FEEL LIKE A FAILURE!! I find that if I document my disappointment on a food journal, it motivates me to keep being strong with my diet. BUT if I keep slipping up for a couple days in a row, then I feel that I won't ever lose weight and I can easily gain back ALL the weight in a few weeks. So cheating is risky business, it's okay to enjoy yourself but use it with caution!

Unknown said...

I so agree... I know I cheat more than I probably should and there are days that I think I will just forever have to be unfit because of my cheating. However, over the past couple of years, I have learned that for me, it's ok to cheat once in a while to banish the cravings, but I have to pick up and just move on one the craving is satisfied. AND, I am slowly learning that a consistant workout really helps with that too... because if I am working out consistantly, then the cheating isn't nearly as bad because I'll be burning those calories.

Glad that you are benefiting from some of the emails I have received and shared..

Lisa

Melisa said...

How do I tally all the "sometimes" and "depends on situation" answers!?

Very timely for me, am struggling to get back on track from high intake evening on Wednesay. ugh

Unknown said...

Ya know, I had a few of the sometimes and depends on the situation answers too... let's just hope that they do not outweigh the Yes's... :)